Who we are
In Factor CO2 we started to provide professional services on the subject of climate change in the year 2004, prior to the ratification of the Kyoto Protocol or the implementation of the EU Emission Trading System. Our focus was always oriented towards the principle of innovation and the integration of academic knowledge and the consulting world.
More than a decade later, we have become established as a global organization, that has worked in more than 40 countries, through a wide international network of offices and partners. We are part of the Factor group.
Who endorses us?
- Multilateral organisations. We have worked with the main multilateral organisations (the Inter-American Development Bank (IBD), the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the African Development Bank (AfDB)). We have also worked with specialised institutions, such as the International Energy Agency (IEA) and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), and organs within the UN system, such as the United Nations Environment and Development Programmes (UNEP and UNDP). In addition, we have worked with Cooperation Agencies, such as the French Development Agency (AFD) and the German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ).
- Governments. We have supported national, regional and local governments from all over the world to develop actions strategies and implement measures related to climate change and energy. We have created more than 50 strategies and action plans for public institutions at all levels in different countries in Europe, America and Asia. We have also drawn up over 45 Sustainable Energy Action Plans (SEAPs) under the Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy.
- Private companies. We have carried out relevant work for some of the biggest European companies in key sectors such as energy, infrastructure, transport, food and finance. As well as calculating over 400 carbon, water and ecological footprints, we have conducted a growing number of vulnerability assessments. We have also assisted with emissions neutrality, through offsetting of more than 200,000 tCO2e, via the voluntary carbon markets (with VCU, CER or GS credits, among others).
- Companies affected by the EU Emissions Trading System. We have provided services to more than 300 affected industrial plants, carrying out operations in the carbon markets and reaching a volume of around 100 million euros.
- Non-governmental organisations. We have supported several environmental, strategic and academic organisations on key projects. We have participated in over 20 Research, Development and Innovation (RD&I) projects to design applications and tools to be used in the fields of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction, adaptation to climate change and carbon markets.
What is our background?
- 2004. Factor CO2 was set up in Bilbao through the strategic alliance of companies from the environmental sector and a group of professionals with specialized experience in climate change.
- 2007. Factor CO2 Trading (now known as "Factor Trading") was started with the aim of helping our clients to get involved in the carbon markets, carrying out the sale and purchase of emissions rights (EUA and EUAA) and carbon credits.
- 2008. Later on, we started to provide services related to climate change adaptation. At first, this was for the public sector. After a few years, we have been doing this for the private sector too.
- 2009. Factor CO2 Ennova (today called "Factor Energy") was born through the association of several companies (engineering and environmental) and a team of professionals from the international consultancy firm Ecofys.
- 2012. Factor CO2 Climate (today known as "Meteoclim") was set up with the aim of expanding our services related to climate change adaptation and energy, by carrying out climate projections and meteorological studies.
- 2013. The International Business Development Unit (currently known as "Factor Global") was set up with the aim of bringing together our international activities and improving participation in RD&I projects.
- 2014. We celebrated our tenth anniversary at the Círculo de Bellas Artes in Madrid, alongside numerous institutions, companies and personalities from the world of climate change.
- 2016. Factor CO2 became the specialized climate change unit of the Factor Group.
Where we are?
Our working methods are based on the creation of interdisciplinary groups for each project and particularly innovative philosophies. The team of professionals of Factor covers multiple fields such as economics, engineering, biology, law, communication and marketing, sociology and philosophy, among many others.