Factor CO2, will lead the Good Local Adapt Project selected in the LIFE 2016 Call
14 July 2017 | Adaptation
The "Good Local Adapt" project is an initiative of Factor CO2, in collaboration with Gaiker, PH +, Ekinn, Amurrio Town Hall, Balmaseda Town Hall and Legazpi Town Hall. This project is carried out with the financial support of LIFE +, the European Commission's financing instrument for the environment, and was awarded within the climate change adaptation line of the LIFE 2016 Call.
The project will run from September 2017 to September 2020.
The general objectives of the project are:
- Adopt sustainable solutions, approved by the citizens, to achieve a good adaptation of the urban areas in the demonstrative neighborhoods of: Amurrio, Balmaseda and Legazpi.
- Encourage complementarity between public and private initiatives in order to achieve the adoption of innovative technological solutions and traditional solutions that help to mitigate the effects of heat, as well as good management of water resources.
- Make the methodologies of prioritization of adaptation solutions available to small and medium-sized municipalities.
- In regards to the specific objectives of the project, the following have been established:
- Socialize the adaptation among the population at the neighborhood level to:
- Identify and increase their awareness of the climatic risks, as well as the behaviors to be adopted to face them and prevent them (acceptance of adaptation).
- Increase the knowledge of the City Hall with respect to the problems of adaptation perceived. It seeks the acceptance of public and private adaptation initiatives, as well as the integration of traditional and novel solutions.
- Adapt and implement methodologies for prioritization of adaptation solutions at the local level. It will seek to ensure the adoption of solutions accepted by society that are: economically sustainable, avoid collateral impacts and promote social, economic and environmental benefits.
- Implement in the short term adaptation solutions prioritized in the following topics: efficient use of water, vegetation, isolation, ventilation, in order to be observable and tangible.
- Seek the replicability of the process and the results of the project through the creation of a regional and European network for adaptation to climate change, as well as regular evaluation and development meetings.
- Evaluate the impacts of adaptation solutions on resilience of the population.
The City Halls of small and medium-sized municipalities are invited to make known their will to be part of the network and, subsequently, to be included in it.
The first meeting of the European network to be developed will take place in December 2017 and will promote the exchange of good practices among municipalities of the project network. In addition, the baseline and project objectives will be presented.
Factor is a group specialized in providing ideas and services in the face of climate change since 2004, through a wide international network of offices and collaborators.
We have extensive experience in advising both public and private clients, in understanding climate information and its implications. We offer support in carrying out specialized studies on climate and vulnerability, as well as in the development of strategies and action plans for climate change adaptation.
Source: Factor CO2